- 8 slices bacon
- 6 cups water, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- 1 1/4 cups finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Add bacon on a large non-stick skillet and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Cook until bacon is brown and crisp. Chop bacon into bits.
- Add garlic to bacon fat and brown over medium heat. Combine eggs, egg yolk, parmesan and pepper in a small mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Reserve 1 Tbsp rendered fat.
- Meanwhile, bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add spaghetti and salt to boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Drain al dente pasta into colander in bowl, while reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Place pasta in large bowl. Slowly pour and whisk 1/2 cup pasta water, and 1 Tbsp bacon fat, into egg mixture and the then slowly pour mixture over pasta while tossing to coat. Add bacon and toss.
- Let pasta rest, tossing frequently, 2 – 4 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly and coats pasta. Thin with hot pasta water as needed. Serve immediately topped with additional parmesan and parsley.